discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Foundation: Proposal 501(c)(3)

Re: [opennic-discuss] Foundation: Proposal 501(c)(3)

  • From: Julian De Marchi <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Foundation: Proposal 501(c)(3)
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 08:55:24 +1000

On 01/21/15 08:46, BlockAid DNS wrote:
Whatever form the OpenNic 'legal entity' takes (I doubt it will be as a
foundation), the problem with incorporating in the US, as with most
countries, is that it's going to be very difficult to escape paying tax on
any profits. But someone is going to have to open a bank account in the
company's name and it will probably be easier if that person resides in the
same jurisdiction as the company. I assume Brian resides in the US? I
originally suggested incorporating in the UK, but I have since reconsidered,
mainly because of this practical difficulty.‎

You hit the nail on the head so to speak. The foundation or whatever it ends up being has to be in the country of the person running it. It also comes down to a matter of trust when money is involved and I personally won't let just anyone run this foundation and deal with OpenNIC funds without first knowing the person and establishing trust 100%.

Brian is the only person within OpenNIC I have verified 100%, he came to my wedding 2 years ago, so the trust is definitely 100%. I have also validated Alex and Travis McCrea but not to the extent of Brian.

Also what needs to be remembered is that running this foundation will be hard work and ongoing work. Brian has been with the project 14 years, he has proved he is not going to disappear. I'm not trying to be rude or anything here, but when we're talking real money, trust becomes the most important issue as it's all to easy to take our $$$ and piss of with it.

--julian