discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Dot Null registration

Re: [opennic-discuss] Dot Null registration

  • From: vv AT cgs.pw
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Dot Null registration
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 00:33:06 -0800

[note: I sent this earlier from the wrong address
so the mailing list software blocked it.]

Hi Mario,

Thanks for the explanation. Yes I know about "complete"
hosted services, though I mostly use unmanaged.

All I needed to know (and was very dense in picking
up on) was that .null doesn't run a name server.
I've always just bought from registrars that do
and never gave it a second thought - that it
could be two separate things. Since Opennic had
appeared to me to be all about DNS I mistakenly
assumed incorrectly. Somehow what people were
saying didn't break through my thick skull. :)

And now I go back to the .null registration
page .... and I understand. I don't want to get
into setting up a DNS name server right now, but
that would be an educational project when I have
time. I've looked at bind and it doesn't look
hard. Anyway, for now I'll go out and search for
a free one somewhere.

Thanks,
vv

On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 15:14:57 -0600
Administrador <admin AT bambusoft.com> wrote:

> Hi vv
>
> No, you don't.
> Seems like you are very familiar with "complete" hosted
> services (the ones which provides dns+ftp+smtp+web...)
> If this is your case, you only need to setup your .null
> A, MX... records via your control panel and then provide
> your hosting DNS name servers in the .null registrar
> interface But, in the other hand, if you wish to have
> your own DNS name servers (something like
> ns1.yourdomain.null) you need to setup the server an then
> provide the IPs. in the . null custom name servers.
>
> Regards
>
> Mario Rdz
>
> El 11/11/2015 a las 01:28 p.m., vv AT cgs.pw escribió:
> > Hi Mario,
> >
> > Well now I'm totally confused. I've never used name
> > servers with names before. Does this mean I need to
> > register another domain name for that somewhere else?
> >
> > ~ vv
> >

> >> Hi
> >>
> >> You need to set -yourdomain.null- name servers, this
> >> mean that you need to put your webhosting NS1 and NS2
> >> actual names or if you are running your own DNS server
> >> just put the IPs in the custom name settings.

<snip>