discuss - RE: [opennic-discuss] Dot Null registration

RE: [opennic-discuss] Dot Null registration

  • From: vv AT cgs.pw
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: RE: [opennic-discuss] Dot Null registration
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 00:52:10 -0800

So I went looking for a free DNS service and found two
that appealed to me: 1984.is and xname.org. Unfortunately
it looks like they don't work with a .null domain, though
they don't say so directly. In fact Xname explicitly
states that they allow all TLDs, but I still get a message
that I don't have a valid zone name.

After several hours of fooling with that, I've decided
that the only practical way to use .null is with one's
own domain server. I'll get to that one day after the
hardships of winter pass. I do have an extra VPS that
could be used, but it still takes reading and mental
energy that I don't always have enough of.

That got me thinking, isn't it possible for one of the
other Opennic servers to act as a domain host for all
the Opennic TLD's? How much/many resources are needed
to do that? It would certainly help make this whole idea
available to the public. Yes, I know only people with
a couple or two of computer smarts are going to use this
anyway. However, to not only set up a domain for some
space, but to also have to procure the resources and
set up a server is raising the bar unnecessarily. No?

~ vv