discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] New tld

Re: [opennic-discuss] New tld

  • From: Calum McAlinden <calum AT mcalinden.me.uk>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] New tld
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 21:16:58 +0100

OpenNIC is already a gateway to .bit. It is possible to use any namespace within Namecoin for domain names (.bit uses the /d namespace). However, this relies on a general consensus regarding the resolution of these domains and I suspect the Namecoin project wouldn't look favourably on this. The /d namespace refers to "domain" and the .bit extension is the accepted and standard extension for all Namecoin domains.

As for other decentralised systems, I believe OpenNIC is currently resolving Emercoin (a fork of Namecoin) domains although I'm not sure on the details of the agreement, but it sounds pretty much like what you've described.