discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN now has a .free gTLD

Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN now has a .free gTLD

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN now has a .free gTLD
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 01:12:25 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx5.sourpuss.net 9681F2D6C9

Well damn... The threat of .free being used by ICANN has been out there for a few years, almost since they opened up their gTLDs, but the application has always fallen through or been dropped. Unfortunately I see that as of November 7th Amazon successfully registered the TLD, and it is in fact resolving from ICANN now.

So we need to discuss the matter, and determine how Opennic wants to proceed. For reference there are 157 active domains registered under .free (around 8 of those are system domains like www.free).

-- We can choose to ignore ICANN and continue using .free as an opennic TLD
-- We can move the existing opennic domains to a new TLD and support ICANN's .free
-- We can drop all opennic domains and support ICANN's .free

Although it is possible to merge the records from both sources, it is a labor-intensive pain in the butt and we would have to consider every domain name that conflicts now and in the future... This is not an option I feel is worthwhile. Thus, the three options above are really the only choices we have. There has been some discussion about migrating .free to a new .libre TLD under opennic, and if enough people are interested in migrating then I would take suggestions and a vote for the new TLD name. If we want to choose option 1 above, then we do nothing and continue to ignore ICANN's TLD. If we want option 3, then I simply remove .free from opennic, and the ICANN domains will start resolving.