discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN now has a .free gTLD

Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN now has a .free gTLD

  • From: Verax <verax AT 8chan.co>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] ICANN now has a .free gTLD
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 13:40:06 -0500

Unfortunately this is really the only way forward. Breaking
compatibility with ICANN is a surefire way to die off at this point (in
the future it may be different, but who knows.

I see 2 ways forward in this issue.

1) Move .free to .liber (latin for free, similar to french 'libre') and
move on since that should be safe fore a while

2) use .e and move existing domains to .fre.e. 1 letter domains should
be safe for now due to existing ICANN policies, though that may change
in the near future as they run out of domains to whore out for a quick buck.

On a related note, I'd appreciate it if no one tried to register .n, so
that if someone thinks they can make money off of .chan (fat chance) we
have a fallback.

Regards,
Verax