discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] DNS selection: trusted DNS

Re: [opennic-discuss] DNS selection: trusted DNS

  • From: Niles Rogoff <nilesrogoff AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] DNS selection: trusted DNS
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 17:31:14 -0500

>An ISP is also expected to have their own caching resolvers, so an ISP adopting OpenNIC would be loading the OpenNIC root on their DNS servers--the rest of OpenNIC would not see an increase in load.
As long as people use sane TTLs

Jonah Aragon wrote:
The most likely by far scenario is that new users will increase at a steady rate, not immediately start using the network. We should be able to easily increase capacity as needed. If millions of people started using OpenNIC I still believe Tier 1 servers will be able to handle the load. Tier 2 servers are so diverse I'm not as certain, we don't do load tests.

That's a far out scenario that only say, an ISP switching to OpenNIC would be able to create, and the odds of them doing that without warning or contacting us is near zero. We'd have good warning before a major switch like that was made.

An ISP is also expected to have their own caching resolvers, so an ISP adopting OpenNIC would be loading the OpenNIC root on their DNS servers--the rest of OpenNIC would not see an increase in load.

-- Jacob