discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee

  • From: Niles Rogoff <nilesrogoff AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2016 17:33:12 -0500

If .LL exists, it's not in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Internet_top-level_domains or https://icannwiki.com/CcTLD

SU is exceptionally reserved in 3316-1. I cannot find any reference for LL, and t does not seem to be delegated in the ICANN or OpenNIC roots; what is it?

On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 5:23 PM Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281 AT gmail.com> wrote:
Aaron J. Angel wrote:
> spaesani,
>
> You are correct that the RFC does not establish a list of two-letter
> codes to be used as ccTLDs. It also does not specify any more than a
> small number of gTLDs, yet we have plenty more than originally listed.
> It does, however, incorporate ISO 3316-1 alpha-2 by reference, which
> is also the only source for current two-letter TLDs. All other TLDs,
> even the new ones approved by ICANN, are more than two characters in
> length.
>
> I find it difficult to support any other use for two-letter TLDs given
> that the list of country codes is an external source that is subject
> to revision, especially one with whose author we have no qualms. This
> is similar to the problem of new but overlapping ICANN-approved gTLDs,
> except that OpenNIC has a strong disliking, I think, to the way ICANN
> approves new gTLDs. This is not the case with the ISO country codes.
>
> If your problem with limiting two-letter TLDs to ccTLDs is that we are
> absent a policy of disallowing any other use, I would be firmly on the
> side of establishing such a policy.

I had always believed that the RFCs required such a policy.  I support
adopting a "all two-letter TLDs are reserved for ccTLDs" policy, with
provisions that "country-like entities" may also be considered and that
previously assigned country codes may remain valid.  (This proviso
allows for .ll and .su to meet the criteria, for example.)

-- Jacob