discuss - Re[2]: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee

Re[2]: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee

  • From: spaesani AT mail.com
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re[2]: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2016 04:11:24 +0300

Test

--
Sent from myMail app for Android

Saturday, 03 December 2016, 05:01PM -05:00 from "Aaron J. Angel" <aaron.angel AT gmail.com>:

spaesani,

You are correct that the RFC does not establish a list of two-letter codes to be used as ccTLDs. It also does not specify any more than a small number of gTLDs, yet we have plenty more than originally listed. It does, however, incorporate ISO 3316-1 alpha-2 by reference, which is also the only source for current two-letter TLDs. All other TLDs, even the new ones approved by ICANN, are more than two characters in length.

I find it difficult to support any other use for two-letter TLDs given that the list of country codes is an external source that is subject to revision, especially one with whose author we have no qualms. This is similar to the problem of new but overlapping ICANN-approved gTLDs, except that OpenNIC has a strong disliking, I think, to the way ICANN approves new gTLDs. This is not the case with the ISO country codes.

If your problem with limiting two-letter TLDs to ccTLDs is that we are absent a policy of disallowing any other use, I would be firmly on the side of establishing such a policy.

Regards,
Aaron