discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Epik is selling OpenNIC domain registrations

Re: [opennic-discuss] Epik is selling OpenNIC domain registrations

  • From: postmaster <postmaster AT welcome.factoryfouroh.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Epik is selling OpenNIC domain registrations
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 04:44:10 -0500

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

I just recently came to OpenNIC as a response to the attempt of sale of .ORG by the Internet Society. In my opinion selling off a highly populated namespace such as .ORG to a Venture Capitalist is "unethical" - but at the same token selling an empty namespace is not.

Even the unethical part - lets face it. We live in the era of technological meritocracy, entire townships run their public interface through Facebook, business CEOs / CFOs use a gmail address as their official unencrypted communication lines. You cannot complain about "unethical" behavior when government and business officials are practically begging you to fleece them.

I agree with the fact that others like Epik are a magnitude more organized - but I do not agree with the revenue and infrastructure part. I am not a UNIX root, not an Infrastructure Engineer, not a Data Architect nor any other IT Pro. I am a railway engine technician by formal training, working as a manufacturing engineer, a production floor process and support expert. I am bringing to OpenNIC an opportunity to purpose-build part of its infrastructure - for manufacturing and warehouses. As you might have noticed, the revenue stream regarding manufacturing all relevant supply chain operations in the USA are about to go through the roof.

Epik may go and advertise, popularize the fact that there is an alternative to .ORG to ICANN and sell namespaces all they want. As long as you, and I and we as OpenNIC do not have a business plan to cash in, no revenue model and no infrastructure, I personally consider complaints a bit of envy and a lot of wishful thinking.

I could rant and rant about all these and more endlessly, and I actually do rant a lot on https://welcome.factoryfouroh.net/dokuwiki - read if you care. The bottom line is, I am trying to create a revenue stream, and I am creating an infrastructure and supply chain using YunoHost, later Virtualmin, by Debian and OpenNIC. I bring expertise from Manufacturing for purpose-built networks such as Environmental Compliance (RoHS, REACH) standards support for IPC, process implementation for Heat Maps, and so on. I am donating $100 USD a month worth of VPS into a balanced, redundant pool of XML and SQL databases, fully encrypted DNS, web and email, LDAP directories and web forms. And I am just one guy doing this, spending out of pocket.

For 100% sure, I support all ideas for a better structured, more organized OpenNIC - and I am 100% confident that ONE of out many ways to make that happen is by starting with purpose-built small networks. So what if we need to create TLDs which are dozen character long - to keep "hostile" actors like Epik away from our projects? Eventually I would like to create and support my own TLD on OpenNIC, which is going to be .factoryfouroh - or if a "hostile" entity "steals" it from me then ".factoryfouroh9001temp". The beauty of purpose-built networks is that only people with vested interest visit them, and they do not care about the "attractiveness" of the namespace as longs as it brings in the dough.

I am probably wrong regarding some of what I wrote since I am not a trained pro in anything. All I have is ideas, time on my hand to try them all, and faith in myself that eventually one of them is going to be a success. To me, right now, OpenNIC looks invaluable for the DNS works and I have a vital and very specific purpose for it.

Cheers,
Sandor