discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Epik is selling OpenNIC domain registrations

Re: [opennic-discuss] Epik is selling OpenNIC domain registrations

  • From: kevin <krattai AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Epik is selling OpenNIC domain registrations
  • Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2020 18:39:40 -0500

I'm certainly not against someone capitalizing on their skill set by
utilizing OpenNIC infrastructure and prior work.

The difference here is their apparent assertion that they will do what
ever they want, even where it both uses OpenNIC infrastructure for
their benefit, while disregarding and harming existing OpenNIC
infrastructure.

It would most likely be in their best interest to work WITH OpenNIC
members and infrastructure. Or don't use OpenNIC at all. They don't
need to use or engage OpenNIC if that is how they wish to operate. I
suppose they figure they are doing the members a favour, and maybe
"free advertising" is that favour, but again, not when it harms our
infrastructure. This would be no different than the DNS pollution that
we are consistently working with each other to prevent in the first
place.

PS: I admit that TLDs like .free, .pirate, and .anarchy are dear to my
heart and someone can just byte me if they want to roll our members
under the moving bus to take those over. If that's the case, they have
no idea what those TLDs represent, and especially not what anarchy is.

Kevin

https://www.namepros.com/threads/o-official-discussion.1184322/page-8#post-7713450