discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Epik is selling OpenNIC domain registrations

Re: [opennic-discuss] Epik is selling OpenNIC domain registrations

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Epik is selling OpenNIC domain registrations
  • Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2020 13:27:56 -0600
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx1.computerrehab.us AD80F2D554

For those that don't want to go to the forum (https://www.namepros.com/threads/o-official-discussion.1184322/), I made a brief response to Epik this morning.

Quoting Rob Monster (this is the CEO of Epik):
Among other things, Toki serves as a resilient, decentralized authoritative DNS resolver for domains that people could own forever.

Shdwdrgn replied:
Rob, I wanted to point out that OpenNIC has had bad experience with decentralized resolvers in the past -- specifically the .bit zone. The issue here was that there was no controlling agency that required strict confirmation of real persons registering the domains. This led to hundreds of domains being used to spread malware, entities such as Spamhaus trying to clamp down on the spread, and OpenNIC being caught in the middle. In the end we could find no way to solve the various problems without compromising our own values, so our members voted to drop peering with the .bit zone.

Rob Monster responded:
With all due respect, OpenNIC looks like an academic project. Here is where we can agree, one way or another, Internet 2.0 is coming.

Here is what Epik has assembled:

- Registry platform capable of supporting any TLD
- World class and award-winning Registrar platform
- Domain Marketplaces (e.g. see NameLiquidate.com and Marketplace.epik.com)
- Content Delivery Network (BitMitigate.com)
- Denial of Service Mitigation (BitMitigate.com)
- Autonomous System (AS34962)
- IPv4 / IPv6 ranges as RIPE member
- Intermediate Root Certificate Authority (DNEncrypt.com)
- Anycast DNS
- VPN wit post-quantum encryption (Anonymize.com)

In addition:

- High availability Kubernetes hosting (CloudChase.com)
- Decentralized and ultra low cost Toki servers running on Raspberry Pi 4 devices (coming this month)

You can follow some of our other projects here:

https://www.epik.com/about/labs/

Our Alt TLDs are here:

https://registrar.epik.com/prices/registration/alt

For next TLDs introduced, we'll plan an orderly sunrise process that favors existing registrants of .com, .net, and .org, in that order, and with an emphasis on FOREVER domains, a topic I discussed here.

To avoid confusion, we'll try not to trip over OpenNIC TLDs. No promises there.

The names that we did register will continue to resolve across our network. We reserve the right to re-open those name spaces at a time of our choosing.

Best of luck to you.