discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default

Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default

  • From: Alex Hanselka <alex AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 19:21:24 -0500

On 5/30/2012 7:13 PM, Jamyn Shanley wrote:
> On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Julian DeMarchi
> <julian AT jdcomputers.com.au> wrote:
>>> The new website isn't live. I filed reports on bugs with the existing
>>> site. You know - the one that every single visitor sees right now.
>>> Speaking of "all talk", it seems to fit the description of the "new
>>> website" quite well.
>> Heh....
>>
>> You've pushed me. Here is an announcement for it then. <snip>
> My point is you rejected bug reports as "invalid" because they don't
> exist on the "next version" of the site that is/was not public. That
> doesn't make the issues invalid, though obviously you can choose not
> to address them. They're still valid bugs though, until the site is
> replaced or the issues are fixed.

That was probably wrong, but still. It happened. Hopefully we can move
past it and have a prosperous relationship from here on :).
>> Rebuffing occured here becuase you pushed the point even though I stated
>> the new site is coming. Now I've annouced it prematurely. Why, to prove
>> I'm not _fuckin_ talk.
> I find it somewhat amusing that simply sticking to my position on a
> very simple issue - that registrars use SSL certificates that are
> recognized by the majority of clients - elicited this much rage. I
> thought the way it worked was that people raised their concerns, and
> they are discussed. If that's not what this list is for, and if that's
> not encouraged, then clearly I misunderstood the purpose of this list.
> If we're all supposed to just nod and say "yes", great.
This is the way the ML works, but as I said before, generally speaking,
certs that are not valid FQDN domains are not approved. And according to
namecheap et al. "*.free" or what have you is not a valid FQDN.

>> Indeed. I first asked you to be patient and wait. You pushed the point,
>> so I gave you the option to stop talking, and help with the new efforts.
>> You only continued to talk. All fuckin talk.
> You quite sarcastically and publicly asked me to "help" in the middle
> of a heated email exchange. It was clearly not a serious request for
> help (and if it was, it certainly was the wrong time and place to
> ask).

He was not being sarcastic. We can use all the help we can get. I know
him personally, and he is serious and extremely passionate about this
project, as am I. We both have been here since the beginning (or at
least close to it, time does sorta get wonky after a while :P

Anyway, I encourage you to read my last email. We are happy to have you,
especially if you help more ;). Please contact me off list if you'd
like to discuss this further. I think this conversation is like beating
a dead horse but I don't like to leave unresolved issues. Thus, please
do contact me with concerns or anything but arguing about all this won't
further OpenNIC in the now. The new site will be out soon and maybe then
we can all be happy! And you are welcome to report bugs on that too!!

Alex