discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default

Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default

  • From: Alex Hanselka <alex AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] register.fur prevents visitor registration by default
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 19:08:09 -0500

You can see the new website at http://new.opennic.glue. It is not
public yet as you may have imagined as we are working on it. It will go
live soon.

Secondly, this all started from you mentioning SSL. In a perfect world,
yes, we would all have fantastic and commercial or at least trusted
certs. However, this is not a perfect world. Most if not ALL commercial
SSL certs (even the cheap ones) wouldn't dream of issuing a cert for an
OpenNIC DNS name. Thus, we support those who will support us, like
CACert. Please, if you do find a commercial or trusted provider that
will issue a cert for a OpenNIC DNS name, PLEASE tell me. I would love
to include that in many docs and as I said, you help us and we help you.
We could drive at least some business to them. :)

Please keep in mind, that we are all too used to people coming here and
being angry and telling us why we are wrong so we are a little jumpy at
new people who come in, guns blazing. Especially because, more times
than not, they disappear forever after a short time. I, for one, value
your feedback and am definitely taking it into account. So please,
stick around and we will settle down a bit. We do our best with OpenNIC
but it IS still a volunteer project. While efforts are underway to
perhaps improve ourselves, we will be a volunteer project for the
foreseeable future and because of that, it is often hard or time
concentrate our efforts or make everything happen we want. We have
limited time and resources.

In any case, welcome to OpenNIC and again, please feel free to stick
around and hang out with us. Get to know us and everything will be great
in the end :)

---
Alex Hanselka
OpenNIC Listmaster and other various things >.>
alex AT opennicproject.org