discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Attention .neo domain holders

Re: [opennic-discuss] Attention .neo domain holders

  • From: Jamyn Shanley <jshanley AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Attention .neo domain holders
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 13:01:32 -0500

I think this situation presents a great case for central registration, or at least automated mirroring of registration data to a central repository.

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net> wrote:
Yes, however the problem was that we've been trying to contact him for
over a week.  ALL of his servers went offline at once, and there had
been no contact.  I've been seeing this with the T2 servers since Brian
set up the wiki page to allow people to register their own servers...
folks will run a machine for a week or two, then lose interest and just
pull their machine offline without deleting it from the wiki or even
sending an email to the list.  We have also seen this happen with T1
servers and their respective TLDs.  In fact, that is how I acquired the
.oss and .parody zones - the previous administrator simply abandoned
them and OpenNic in general.

So yes, I may be a little jumpy when people's servers suddenly go
offline, but I do have good reasons to assume the worst and try to make
preparations.