discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: Travis McCrea <me AT travismccrea.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 19:17:41 -0500

I don't know if my post earlier went through but it doesn't look like it
so here is me reposting it:
Did someone /really/ ask what was wrong with gnupg.org?? This is the
problem with letting IT people come up with design instead of leaving it
to designers. Yes, I can build a website with the output of every
server, we can do ping times and reports. The average person doesn't
want that though.

The average person wants to come to OpenNICproject.org and see:
1) What is OpenNIC in under 200 words
2) A Quick Feature List
3) How to install it on my computer, explaining it as though I was a 5
year old

no more, no less. If people want more, we provide them links to get the
additional information they need.

Also Brian you keep talking about how there are all these reports and
things that we pull from the wiki and that's your reasoning for using
the wiki software we have -- wiki's are not supposed to be for
statically generated content. We could build that into the website (very
easily).

What we need the wiki for is organizational things: Projects, Teams,
Guides, Development, etc. Wikis are supposed to be editable by people
and provide a way to easily share information that can be built upon by
other people, why would we want the wiki to share statistics?

Quinn Wood wrote:
> Did someone /really/ ask what was wrong with gnupg.org?? This is the
> problem with letting IT people come up with design instead of leaving
> it to designers. Yes, I can build a website with the output of every
> server, we can do ping times and reports. The average person doesn't
> want that though.
>
> The average person wants to come to OpenNICproject.org and see: 1)
> What is OpenNIC in under 200 words 2) A Quick Feature List 3) How to
> install it on my computer, explaining it as though I was a 5 year
> old
>
> no more, no less. If people want more, we provide them links to get
> the additional information they need.
>
> Also Brian you keep talking about how there are all these reports and
> things that we pull from the wiki and that's your reasoning for using
> the wiki software we have -- wiki's are not supposed to be for
> statically generated content. We could build that into the website
> (very easily).
>
> What we need the wiki for is organizational things: Projects, Teams,
> Guides, Development, etc. Wikis are supposed to be editable by people
> and provide a way to easily share information that can be built upon
> by other people, why would we want the wiki to share statistics?

- --
Respectfully,
Travis McCrea
Captain, United States Pirate Party
International Coordinator, Pirate Party of Canada
Chief Administrative Officer, Pirate Parties International

http://travismccrea.com
http://twitter.com/teamcoltra
http://fb.me/teamcoltra

1(778)709-4859 Canada