discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] DRM in HTML5

Re: [opennic-discuss] DRM in HTML5

  • From: Quinn Wood <wood.quinn.s AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] DRM in HTML5
  • Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 17:36:57 -0500

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 4:56 PM, Julian DeMarchi
<julian AT jdcomputers.com.au> wrote:
> It could have the potential to open netflix up to linux users?

There have been numerous offers to include DRM support in Moonlight,
Netflix has shown no interest in porting Netflix to it so no DRM
support has been added. EME won't change Netflix's lax attitude
towards the smaller Linux/BSD market.

> I'm not for *DRM* at all. What I think though is having it in there is
> better then a third party app for DRM...

Not at all. You can refuse to use a third party app.

This kind of DRM is nothing more than an attempt to lock down video
streams. If people are that concerned, they should create streaming
technologies of their own (a la RMTP... RTMP? never remember) which
include encryption as a casual ripper-deterring DRM alternative.