discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Hi list!

Re: [opennic-discuss] Hi list!

  • From: Zach Gibbens <infocop411 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Hi list!
  • Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 00:09:11 -0400

On 08/15/2013 11:35 PM, Julian DeMarchi wrote:

I have a few, my current favorite is a bit nutty, but it fits with alot of the mess going on here,
part of me wonders if there's a bit of a cyberwar going on, mostly targeted stuff by advanced persistent threats honestly, but look at the timing, snowden & the NSA, what's going on now with Washington Post, CNN, the NY Times, Google DNS, and the DDoS on the banking sector by Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters.

Throw in increasing conflicts where communications matter so highly, nature of civil war, fighting your own countrymen for your ideals, the value of propaganda and the efforts to silence it.

due to how DNS Amplification attacks work, we're both collateral damage, and also targeted due to our commitment to free speech.

to clarify I'm not saying that this is what's happening (however I would bet 20 quid that due to all this getting picked up in the news lately, some of it is some combination of people trying scripts to see for themselves, and developing intelligence/military capabilities from places that are late to the "party" training in a live environment)