discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds

Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds

  • From: Max Bellasys <info AT bellasys.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2014 19:43:52 -0800

Without offering a case of my own devising, I would respond with a critical
point to consider regarding this comparison between the OpenNIC’s
incorporation and the impotence of the American Church.

I believe it is the quality of the leadership that provides the quality of
the organization in question. This is a truism, and applies generally to any
organization. However I believe it applies specifically here.

I assert that the only way for one entity to have impact (or bearing) on
another is to relate within the same system. Perhaps it’s enough that the
“system” is the internet, in one regard, and in that respect the OpenNIC has
bearing and consequence already.

However the case brought forward is whether this entity (OpenNIC) will
incorporate and increase it’s scope to include a footprint in the same system
that ICANN plays in (as well as other international entities) and whether
that is a desirable move on behalf of its members. This is an increase in
scope.

I am not arguing that there isn’t any impact or negative consequences (new
limits, etc.), however I don’t believe your comment fairly summarizes the
move, and it sounds fear-based rather than circumspect.

If you have specific issues to present and can offer members insights they
may not have, perhaps your concerns could be better supported. As someone who
understands the comparisons you have made, I don’t find your reasoning
particularly compelling.

You are likely dealing with scientists here. I don’t see how drawing a
comparison between the political motivations of a former american president
relates to a group of free members deciding their future status. I must have
missed the part where some international organization drew our attention
offsides. I think the motion has considerable benefits, possibly obtaining
greater reach, and possibly a more substantial presence in the eyes of
investors for donations.

Be warned that the U.K., Canada, and the U.S. are essentially owned by the
same interests, I can specifically recommend against these sources. While I
personally have incorporated in the US, and I don’t always recommend against
it, I know enough about the policy and the (anti) privacy laws to say “NO!”

Sweden seems like a good choice, but I can’t offer much else on positive
alternatives.

John, I respectfully ask you to provide more evidentiary examples for
consideration.

Thanks

Max Bellasys