discuss - RE: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds

RE: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds

  • From: "John Kozlowski \(ShofarDomain.com\)" <John.Kozlowski AT ShofarDomain.com>
  • To: <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: RE: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 00:14:56 -0500

Max,

There is much to consider, but I will limit myself due to the late hour
here.

Quality of leadership is a scary thought. During their time Mao, Stalin,
Hitler, Mussolini, and so many more were considered great leaders and only
gained power by using their charisma to charm the masses. I suggest that
these high quality leaders are not remember as fondly as they were during
their prime, nor the organizations they headed.

Quality leaders have built ICANN and the domain name industry into the
multi-billion dollar stranglehold it now is. It takes true quality
leadership to build such a cash cow on something that is virtually free and
could be sold rather than rented.

I suggest that what is needed is quality articulators of the free and
independent nature of the Internet and OpenNIC's position in that. Putting
an organization behind these people sets it up to be focused on being
perpetual and revenue producing in its own right, rather than focused on the
principle it initially promotes. You can see numerous examples of this in
the pro-choice/pro-life, or the gun-rights/gun-control arena. Backing those
who articulate this well needs to be addressed in other ways.

The scientists example is also a good one. We must remember that there is a
difference between science and scientists. The latter are as human as the
rest of the masses and are subject to emotions and pressures as any other.
You can see that clearly in the global warming/climate change debates. We
humans are swayed by pressure on our checkbook, allure to pride, and
outright force more that reason.

Building a complementary organization with a similar legal structure to
ICANN, I suggest, is building the left-right paradigm articulated by Carroll
Quigley. It gives the illusion of choice without true freedom.

Yes I do have a fear of organizations. It is rather difficult to find one
that stands the test of time. Individuals working separately and with
voluntary associations are far more resilient to infiltration and going
astray.

Am I an idealist, as Martin suggests? Absolutely! Otherwise, let's go make
some money with ICANN.

This is a worthy discussion, and I hope only to help think this through.

Respectfully,

John Kozlowski