discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee - Liberland domains .LL

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee - Liberland domains .LL

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonaharagon AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee - Liberland domains .LL
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2016 17:47:18 +0000

I'm not sure if anybody is interested in monetizing DNS server access itself, that would be unprecedented and wouldn't really work as far as I can see, with free competition.

What Simon wants instead, I believe, and what I completely agree with, is the ability for TLD registries to charge for domain purchases. OpenNIC itself doesn't operate any of the top-level-domains we provide access to, it's a largely decentralized process, and as such OpenNIC shouldn't mandate policies regarding the operation of said domains.

Monetization of domains shouldn't be forced (like ICANN), or prohibited. But registry operators should be able to set prices as they see fit.

Maybe some regulation would need to be implemented to ensure any such monetization is fair, to prevent abuse in the form of rapidly increasing pricing or auction-based censorship (as was Liberland's original proposal), but the right to either sell or give away domains should come down to the individual admins' policies.

Jonah