discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] I really think we need to reopen .libre

Re: [opennic-discuss] I really think we need to reopen .libre

  • From: "Daniel Quintiliani" <danq AT runbox.com>
  • To: "discuss" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] I really think we need to reopen .libre
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 19:35:10 -0400 (EDT)

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

“Free software” means software that respects users' freedom and community.
Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute,
study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of
liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as
in “free speech,” not as in “free beer”. We sometimes call it “libre
software,” borrowing the French or Spanish word for “free” as in freedom, to
show we do not mean the software is gratis.

“Free software” does not mean “noncommercial”. A free program must be
available for commercial use, commercial development, and commercial
distribution. Commercial development of free software is no longer unusual;
such free commercial software is very important. You may have paid money to
get copies of free software, or you may have obtained copies at no charge.
But regardless of how you got your copies, you always have the freedom to
copy and change the software, even to sell copies.

https://opensource.org/osd

1. Free Redistribution

The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the
software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing
programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a
royalty or other fee for such sale.

--

-Dan Q