discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] 1 year wait before re-voting

Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] 1 year wait before re-voting

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonah AT triplebit.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] 1 year wait before re-voting
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 13:02:01 -0500

Just some thoughts I had...

What differentiates proposals? Is it by idea? If I hate an idea could I start
a vote on it with some outlandish conclusion people would be forced to vote
“no” on, and now nobody can propose anything like it for a year? For example,
I could start a vote saying that if a proposal fails, nobody can start
another one for 1000 years. Once everybody says no, is a “1 year wait before
re-voting” proposal disallowed because it’s a different take on the same idea?

Is it by actor? What’s stopping me from giving my failed proposal plus a few
modifications to a buddy of mine to propose?

Is it some combination of the two that determines uniqueness? If so, who’s
the judge of that? This could be used as a heavy handed tool to prevent
proposals by a single person or across a very wide scope of ideas, because
they’re “too similar.”

When we make proposals it’s important to codify things exactly, in my
opinion. Sure, maybe a “reasonable judgement”-based idea like this might work
within our current community, but we should consider new users or a potential
rapid growth of our community that could destabilize an organization like
ours with “policies” like this.

Jonah