discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English

Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English

  • From: Sebastian Makowiecki <soocki AT mailbox.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2018 09:01:29 +0100

Thank you Phillip for articulating my thoughts exactly as well as standing up for democratic values.

~
Sebastian Makowiecki

On 8 August 2018 07:51:23 GMT+01:00, Philipp Schafft <lion AT lion.leolix.org> wrote:
Good morning,

On Tue, 2018-08-07 at 14:50 -0400, Daniel Quintiliani wrote:
Hi,

A number of individuals are voting on proposals in other languages
(Austrian? German?).

Please provide me pointers to those emails that there written in
languages but English. I can't see any.

All I can see is people placing votes that are invalid. The status of a
vote being "invalid" is not a property of the language in use but is
only based on if the vote matches one of the options or not.

This basically is a question of string matching.

Also consider how all those nations out there with more than one
official language do there votes. They also do not depend on it.

I don't know how to process these votes, though I'm hoping someone
else can before time runs out (or until someone translates them for
Jonah and I).

Super simple, AND also doesn't require translation:
Count them as invalid. Invalid votes are counted as other options and
ARE included in the total amount of votes.

E.g:

3 voted yes, 2 voted no, 4 voted invalid -> 9 total votes, 33.33...% are
for yes, 22.22...% are for no, 44.44...% voted invalid. No option
reached absolute majority.

Depending on if absolute majority (more than 50% are for one option) is
needed or not "yes" passes or no option passes.

What do you think?

I thin that you should not try to limit what little of OpenNIC's
democracy, which always include creative political protest, is left even
more. Even more true with another rush-in proposal. If a voting process
is defined in a clean way it is perfectly independent on natural
languages.

With best regards standing up proudly for a better world,