discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English

Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English

  • From: Philipp Schafft <lion AT lion.leolix.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2018 06:51:23 +0000

Good morning,

On Tue, 2018-08-07 at 14:50 -0400, Daniel Quintiliani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A number of individuals are voting on proposals in other languages
> (Austrian? German?).

Please provide me pointers to those emails that there written in
languages but English. I can't see any.

All I can see is people placing votes that are invalid. The status of a
vote being "invalid" is not a property of the language in use but is
only based on if the vote matches one of the options or not.

This basically is a question of string matching.

Also consider how all those nations out there with more than one
official language do there votes. They also do not depend on it.

> I don't know how to process these votes, though I'm hoping someone
> else can before time runs out (or until someone translates them for
> Jonah and I).

Super simple, AND also doesn't require translation:
Count them as invalid. Invalid votes are counted as other options and
ARE included in the total amount of votes.

E.g:

3 voted yes, 2 voted no, 4 voted invalid -> 9 total votes, 33.33...% are
for yes, 22.22...% are for no, 44.44...% voted invalid. No option
reached absolute majority.

Depending on if absolute majority (more than 50% are for one option) is
needed or not "yes" passes or no option passes.

> What do you think?

I thin that you should not try to limit what little of OpenNIC's
democracy, which always include creative political protest, is left even
more. Even more true with another rush-in proposal. If a voting process
is defined in a clean way it is perfectly independent on natural
languages.

With best regards standing up proudly for a better world,

--
Philipp.
(Rah of PH2)