discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English

Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English

  • From: Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281 AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2018 18:13:00 -0500

vv AT cgs.pw wrote:
I agree with what you say. We really should
remain international. And it is indeed obvious
when someone is spoiling a ballot - seeing
it otherwise appears demonstrative to me.

My opinion is that there are some people here
with a belligerent attitude towards "foreign"
languages. Yes, English is a standard on the
internet, but we are living in a global world
now. In any case even a decent understanding
of English includes a lot of French, German,
Latin, and other influences. One cannot claim
ignorance of those if one is an English speaker.
A little linguistic depth, not to mention
tolerance, is demanded in this day and age.
Fighting against that strikes me as being narrow
minded - if not plain rude. I think that OpenNIC
members would do well to stay away from such
redneck attitudes if possible. But I also think
that we need not ensconce such rules in our
constitution.

Why not? American English is, by accident of history, the /lingua franca/ of the Internet: the RFCs are written in it. I would most definitely draw the line at non-Latin character sets, but I do not see a particular problem with using a foreign word or phrase here or there when its meaning is appropriate, as that is allowed in American English. The "abstentions" that led to this discussion fit in this category -- they are clearly meant to be invalid votes, not unlike the old notion of writing in "Donald Duck" as a protest vote.

-- Jacob