discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English

Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English

  • From: <vv AT cgs.pw>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 17:09:09 -0700

On Wed, 08 Aug 2018 18:13:00 -0500
Jacob Bachmeyer <jcb62281 AT gmail.com> wrote:

> vv AT cgs.pw wrote:
> > I agree with what you say. We really should
> > remain international. And it is indeed obvious
> > when someone is spoiling a ballot - seeing
> > it otherwise appears demonstrative to me.
> >
> > My opinion is that there are some people here
> > with a belligerent attitude towards "foreign"
> > languages. Yes, English is a standard on the
> > internet, but we are living in a global world
> > now. In any case even a decent understanding
> > of English includes a lot of French, German,
> > Latin, and other influences. One cannot claim
> > ignorance of those if one is an English speaker.
> > A little linguistic depth, not to mention
> > tolerance, is demanded in this day and age.
> > Fighting against that strikes me as being narrow
> > minded - if not plain rude. I think that OpenNIC
> > members would do well to stay away from such
> > redneck attitudes if possible. But I also think
> > that we need not ensconce such rules in our
> > constitution.
>
> Why not? American English is, by accident of history,

Why not what? Write it into our constitution that
all official business be conducted in English?
Sure, but at this point with only a dozen members
voting, it seems ridiculous to me to be spending
time with what I consider petty bureaucracy. I'm not
against it, but rather don't think it's needed, and
quite frankly, over-the-top. The less rules the better.

In general, I agree with your comment.

~ Ole