discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English

Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English

  • From: Al Beano <albino AT autistici.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [PROPOSAL] Require voting in English
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 16:00:34 +0100

On 08/08/18 15:46, Verax wrote:
The problem is that you're not voting for one of the options, which in a free-form vote can be confusing.  You do realize you could just write "I decline to vote" instead of trying to be funny or make a political point about potato salad or whatever, and then "clarifying" another spoiled vote.  That's what I consider garbage.
It's pretty obvious that a vote for potato salad is a deliberately spoilt ballot. I don't see the problem here. The only ballots possible by email are free-form and people are free to write what they want.
If you want to decline, just do so.
it's clear that that's what they did
And no, there's nothing requiring us to tally up your mickey mouse votes
apart from the duty we have to run our little ad-hoc democracy as honestly as possible
, in my country people who write dumb things on their ballot don't even get counted.
an advantage of free-form ballots is that people can write whatever they want, dumb or otherwise. It all gets read, and it all gets counted. Sorry your country's voting system sucks.

I'm not totally opposed to moving to a more automated voting system where the only options are yes, no or abstain but I would view the lack of an option to creatively spoil the ballot as a disadvantage, not the other way around.

Given that there is no formal option to abstain from voting one way or the other, all invalid votes must be treated as abstentions. There's no need to freak out - unless the vote says "yes", "no" or something obviously synonymous with one of these things, it can be counted as invalid. Simple as that.

albino

Declines are counted.

--Verax

Philipp Schafft wrote: