discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenID authentication (backed by LDAP!)

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenID authentication (backed by LDAP!)

  • From: Alex Nordlund <deep.alexander AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenID authentication (backed by LDAP!)
  • Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2012 10:50:50 +0100

On Thu, Sep 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM, Simon <simon AT hacknix.net> wrote:
On 09/06/12 09:56, Filip Lamparski wrote:
> I, on the other hand, disagree: it can do good if you can choose whether
> or not to use central auth or use separate logins.

I can see the value in offering choice here. As long as it's optional.

There's really nothing stopping a site from offering both, many sites offering OpenID registration and login simply use your OpenID data to create an account, then let you pick a password and in the end you can login with both your password and your OpenID.

Now, there's nothing stopping you from accepting more than one OpenID provider either and as an operator you're still in control of your database no matter what you do.

And in regards to having an account per site>
If you visit a random website and it requires you to register to read an article, would you do that? I just pick another page since it's annoying to have to think of another password.

---
//Alex