discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: Brian Koontz <brian AT opennicproject.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 19:55:27 -0600

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 03:19:43PM -0600, Jamyn Shanley wrote:
> The vast majority of OpenNIC information could (should?) be put on the
> website, and not a wiki. Essentially there's core information that needs to
> be communicated, and all of that could be put on a website (dynamic or not):

The original intent of the wiki was to serve as a technical
repository. AFAIK, you all can do what you want. This happens every
so often: New blood comes on board, demands change to the
latest/greatest web platform flavor of the day, then departs the fix
without a trace. Seen it happen more times than I can count. So call
me jaded, call me a stick in the mud, whatever. I'll just leave the
wiki open and available. Someone else wants to come along and
reinvent the wheel, by all means do so.

To me, the wasted effort comes from duplicating work that's already
been done. You all want pretty? Make a pretty website. But if you
do, plan on sticking around for the long run to maintain it, update
the contents, etc. Otherwise, it just becomes one in a long line of
failed efforts to get the info to the masses.

--Brian

--
OpenNIC (the sequel) co-founder and wikimaster
IRC: Freenode.net channel #opennic