discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: Mauricio Pasquier Juan <mauricio AT pasquierjuan.com.ar>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 17:27:33 -0300

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 03:35:17PM -0500, opennic AT lewman.us wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:24:43 +0100
> nanashiRei <nanashi.rei AT gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This just implies that your ISP doesn't provide valid geo information,
> > good for you. It finds me pretty accurately (~10km distance).
>
> The maxmind geoip database finds it down to my town. This html5/geo
> site clearly isn't using maxmind geoip db,
> https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip_demo

How does it work?

When you visit a location-aware website, Firefox will ask you if you want to
share your location.

If you consent, Firefox gathers information about nearby wireless access
points
and your computer’s IP address. Then Firefox sends this information to the
default geolocation service provider, Google Location Services, to get an
estimate of your location. That location estimate is then shared with the
requesting website.

If you say that you do not consent, Firefox will not do anything.

https://www.mozilla.org/en/firefox/geolocation/