discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

Re: [opennic-discuss] The website

  • From: Hunter 9999 <mail AT hunter-9999.de>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] The website
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 23:29:26 +0100

Am 12.12.2012 um 21:27 schrieb Mauricio Pasquier Juan
<mauricio AT pasquierjuan.com.ar>:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 03:35:17PM -0500, opennic AT lewman.us wrote:
>> On Wed, 12 Dec 2012 21:24:43 +0100
>> nanashiRei <nanashi.rei AT gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> This just implies that your ISP doesn't provide valid geo information,
>>> good for you. It finds me pretty accurately (~10km distance).
>>
>> The maxmind geoip database finds it down to my town. This html5/geo
>> site clearly isn't using maxmind geoip db,
>> https://www.maxmind.com/en/geoip_demo
>
> How does it work?
>
> When you visit a location-aware website, Firefox will ask you if you want to
> share your location.
>
> If you consent, Firefox gathers information about nearby wireless access
> points
> and your computer’s IP address. Then Firefox sends this information to the
> default geolocation service provider, Google Location Services, to get an
> estimate of your location. That location estimate is then shared with the
> requesting website.
>
> If you say that you do not consent, Firefox will not do anything.
>
> https://www.mozilla.org/en/firefox/geolocation/

Chrome do the same.
IE do the same, but with Microsoft Location service.

In IE I get the first time an absolutely false location, the second time
acurately of ~10 meters.
Firefox gets my location every tim acurately of ~5 meters, with WiFi, without
Wifi, with GPS, without GPS, on Notebook, on Handy.

But I think the ping is realy better to find an Server.

--

Daniel Jäger