discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds

Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds

  • From: Max Bellasys <info AT bellasys.com>
  • To: Members OpenNIC <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 17:38:59 -0800

On a technical platform (creating a multi-system-resolver) I think this is an
excellent suggestion. Integration is the opposite of fragmentation, and it is
possible to achieve inter-operability between disparate systems, of course.

Has anyone from OpenNIC ever tried to achieve joint-DNS resolution? I think
this is why a technology solution seems more realistic in the immediate
sense, because if I’m not mistaken the reason the OpenNIC exists is due to
lack of interchange with ICANN and its control of TLD and name server
resolution.

Also, since I joined this discussion fairly late, is it possible to very
succinctly address the reason why OpenNIC is seriously considering
Incorporation or formalizing its organization? Incorporation (or Non-Profit)
has to do more than just facilitate funding, because such things can be
driven by rolling up the sleeves and creating campaigns to do so.

I’m not asking for a full philosophy here, just a nutshell of the present
query, because it’s clear I’m missing the crux of the issues.

Thanks in advance

~Max Bellasys