discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds

Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds

  • From: David <davidvargas1 AT mac.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org, Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Proposal: Establishment of an OpenNIC foundation using OpenNIC funds
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 22:08:29 +0800

Here is the difference and definition of Non-profit and Foundation.

I'm from the United States and each state varies in the legal definition
of NON-PROFIT and foundation. And lets not forget "Taxation."
Some States requires three chairman, but does not change the core values
of OpenNic, if one of them quits.

The question that is humming all the current e-mails, in this matter it
takes you in two different directions. Profit or non-profit.

I prefer foundation, for me is more accommodating, it maintains the
integrity of OpenNic values.

This is were I stand and already did draw the line in the sand.

A better definition follows.

A nonprofit organization or a company is a company that is organized not
for profit.

A company that is organized usually has a purpose. Most companies off
course are organized for doing business for profit. But some companies
are organized not for profit but for service.

These are companies may be organized to solicit funds to help the poor.
Or a company that is organized specifically as a social organization
like alumni associations, clubs, etc. These companies that are organized
not for the purpose of going into business for profit are nonprofit
companies.

A foundation is another form of company were the profit or the earnings
or the state of an individual or a company is earmarked for a certain
purpose.

The Ford foundation for example earmark an amount every year for an
advocacy that they want to promote it could be for cancer research,
scholarship to indigent and deserving students, food aid to Africa.

The FSF (free software Foundation), I'm a member of them.

Here comes the difference. A nonprofit company is a company whose
purpose is not for profit but for other things like service, etc.

The company raise funds contributed by different sources so they could
finance their projects. A foundation gets its funds from the profit of
an existing company or from a state of an individual and spend these
funds to a specific advocacy.

Bill Gates of Microsoft the riches men in the world has a Bill Gates
foundation whose advocacy is in education, research and others, The
foundation of Warren Buffet the second riches men in the world is into
cancer research and it funds several health care centers and hospital
around the world.