discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Moving to Discourse (Forum + Mailing List Replacement)

Re: [opennic-discuss] Moving to Discourse (Forum + Mailing List Replacement)

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonaharagon AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Moving to Discourse (Forum + Mailing List Replacement)
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 07:08:39 -0500

The idea is basically, we need a good community discussion platform for newcomers (and current members as well). Especially in the way of support, the mailing list just isn't as inviting.

I'd like to replace the mailing list completely because I don't want to create fragmentation in the community, we would have two similar systems running with different purposes with different members and nothing would get done. It's hard to get anything done as it is with our current system, and I definitely don't want to add to that issue (which in my opinion, is OpenNIC's biggest flaw).

Functionality hopefully shouldn't be too different for die-hard mailing list users, but hopefully people will switch.

Discourse is proven in numerous communities. Ubuntu, Let's Encrypt, Atom.io, Docker, and Imgur, to name a few I can think of off the top of my head.

We'll test it tonight and see if it works out.

Regards,

Jonah