discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Moving to Discourse (Forum + Mailing List Replacement)

Re: [opennic-discuss] Moving to Discourse (Forum + Mailing List Replacement)

  • From: <vv AT cgs.pw>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Moving to Discourse (Forum + Mailing List Replacement)
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2017 21:47:10 -0700

Christopher, you're quite right about an attack surface.
Forums are generally high maintenance. On many forums,
if someone isn't on the job every day (several
times) then the forum will get overrun. I've seen
forums completely useless after a couple of days, and
then there's a big cleanup job.

That said, if there is no signup on the forum, and
instead we use our OpenNIC credentials, then it is
quite possible that we can avoid most problems.
A simpler idea is that presumably this software can be
configured to require the first post to be moderated.
I do that on Wordpress sites and it just about solves
all spam issues.

~ Ole