discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion

Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion

  • From: "Dmitry S. Nikolaev" <dn AT mega-net.ru>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion
  • Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2017 08:20:05 +0300

Hi.

First of all thanks for the feedback.

Christopher <weblionx AT gmail.com> wrote:
people running TLDs like that is asking for trademark lawsuits.
Lawsuits to who ? Me ? :) I don`t care I am not in USA.
To you ? When (and IF) they can notice such domain you can always say "not we (openNIC.org) own this domain" and/or "Ok, we will replace/remove it".
And IF this will happen I think openNIC will have absolutely free promotion to many people again because it can be in the world news :)
Also, about which lines in law you are talking about ?

For what ? We don`t use this names for commercial purposes and don`t tell anything about this is our products or trade marks or something like this.
Also we can (and I think must) reserve all trade marks names 2level domains in TLDs and not allow to register them.
Or much more - do HTTP redirect to the real site (example: rockstar.gta --HTTP-redirect-> www.rockstargames.com)

These companies are making money on the players (community) and they are glad when community are growing up.

I agree that you are right that in openNIC not enough content, so we need to change it if we want openNIC to be massive project and this a chance to get it.
.games or .game is good idea too, but i think it will be harder to attract people (content) into it.