discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion

Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion

  • From: 6161 <6161 AT protonmail.ch>
  • To: "discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 05:48:05 -0400
  • Feedback-id: he2nAMBGiaOUM50ZvIW1bEQ3xjm-VoobzWmd0aC3cHVmlzyZK2XlPb1Xj4QHfR1p25ptyP_phOhvZj6wg0vRrA==:Ext:ProtonMail

OpenNIC is doomed, I'm telling you all.

ICANN can wipe us out in a day if they want to, the only reason they don't is because we are no threat at all. With the new gTLDs being here, .bbs, .chan, .dyn, .fur, .geek, .glue, .gopher, .indy, .libre, .neo, .null, .oss, .oz, .parody and .pirate could be taken over by them tomorrow. (The only exemption might be .o because it is so short they might not register it, not that one domain really matters.) If they do register any of our domains, we will bow down to them just like we did after they robbed us of .free.

I had registered a .free domain. Nobody told me that it would be lost. I discovered that by chance when I clicked through the mailing list, which I was not subscribed to before. Apparently, it was expected of domain owners to be on the mailing list. Do any of you think average domain holder Joe wants to read through all of this? No, of course not, the least Joe can expect is that someone writes him an email when they cancel his domain. Do you think Joe trusts OpenNIC after canceling his domain? Maybe he really liked .free. OpenNIC is not suitable for the masses.

Why are we like this? Because we are not organized. I hate to point fingers, but for the sake of making this point look at the projects of the maintainer of .o: The registration system is down after it has already launched. (Is it down again or is it still down?) There was supposed to be a CA which he was in charge of, I have not heard anything about that ever since. Why are all of these projects dying? I cannot say for sure, but I assume it is because he has more important stuff to do in his life. And you know what? I do not blame him for letting these projects die, not at all. It's a hobby, not a job. Nobody pays him, so it has to be done in free time. This guy owes me nothing.

To compete with ICANN we would need to be a company who has dedicated developers and maintainers. We would have to resist against them, push them back when they try to register one of our domains.

To be a commercialized company, we would have to make money somehow, likely take it for registrations. This forfeits all of our ideals. I am sorry.