discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion

Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion

  • From: Amunak <amunak AT amunak.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] opennic project promotion
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2017 09:53:47 +0200

It's also ideal to create a ton of confusion - just like creating .games (vs. ICANN's .game) would be.

Realistically the *only* option for OpenNIC to actually be able to spread among "ordinary users" in huge numbers would in my mind be to buy a .opennic (or .onic or similar) TLD from ICANN, make it mirror our "backup" TLD (that I guess we have yet to create). That would then allow us to freely use links to OpenNIC domains in the ICANN-only web. We could then strongly suggest that people who own opennic domains and run (mainly web) services on them should put up a notice for every visitor who comes in through the ICANN domain informing them at least briefly about OpenNIC, our goals and how to connect to us.

Otherwise all the other ideas are nice, but by definition they cannot draw in any people as they won't be able to connect to us without the prior "hard" digging for information.

Amunak