discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] planets TLDs

Re: [opennic-discuss] planets TLDs

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] planets TLDs
  • Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 22:17:48 -0700
  • Dmarc-filter: OpenDMARC Filter v1.3.0 mx2.computerrehab.us EB6002D65E

In the 15 years I have been with opennic I have never once proposed a new TLD -- and yet now I manage nine of them.  Every one of these TLDs were brought in by people who left opennic or didn't have the resources or time to keep running the zones.  It happens, nobody can plan for every outcome and real life gets in the way sometimes.

As Jonah says, we want the people proposing new TLDs to show some commitment to opennic and participate for some time before we feel comfortable giving them the responsibility of managing a TLD, but at the same time I think it's also important to remember that there are already plenty of folks here willing to pick up an abandoned TLD if there is actually some interest in preserving it.  That should also be a consideration when voting on new TLDs -- if there is a lot of community interest in a particular idea then that should be weighed along with the perceived experience of the person proposing the idea.  Even if we need to put an idea on the back burner for awhile and let it mature, good ideas should not be thrown away.

Not that I'm saying I'm in favor of any of the recent ideas being thrown out, I'm just trying to say that even if someone fails as a TLD operator we can still carry forward an idea with other people sharing control.  A TLD registrar doesn't need to be a one-person operation, and maybe we should take another look at our current policies and think about why we are set up to essentially force each TLD to be a stand-alone entity.