discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Discord?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Discord?

  • From: "Daniel Quintiliani" <danq AT runbox.com>
  • To: "discuss" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Discord?
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2018 14:50:53 -0400 (EDT)

There is one thing which might be bad about using Discord only. Discord
allows the main admin (Jonah) to delete others' messages, and the main admin
can create "roles" and assign them abilities, including to edit and delete
messages.

I run my own publicly-listed Discord, and when your Discord is publicly
listed in directories you're bound to attract spammers, usually you set up a
bot (like Sweetiebot) to assign spammers the "silence" role and then I or
others in the "staff" role can delete the messages.

Additionally, you often have spammers spam you with PMs, and then when you
report it to the Discord they're in, they deny it and delete the spam PM.

So Fusl might be right about having everything official done on IRC, and
considering a bridge as I investigated (Jonah suggested it might be best to
have a separate Discord channel for the bridge)

--

-Dan Q