discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Discord?

Re: [opennic-discuss] Discord?

  • From: Al Beano <albino AT autistici.org>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Discord?
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2018 20:14:30 +0100

On 7 July 2018 19:46:05 BST, Jonah Aragon <jonah AT triplebit.net> wrote:
>Discord has a number of benefits outside of "a more modern interface"......

Yes. IRC is not an ideal platform but it at least provides user freedom. For
the reasons I explained in my first post in this thread I think Discord is
completely unacceptable for OpenNIC communication regardless of how many
great features it might have.

>Also it's free (cost-wise) forever.

Says who? It's a closed platform. There are no guarantees.

>But nobody is forcing you to join Discord in any case.

I did join, mainly because I am already 'suffering' under Discord and one
more server will do me no harm, but this sentiment is missing the point — the
more traction Discord gains in our community, the more discussion will shift
there and the more people who can't/won't use Discord will be excluded, and
others will end up using a proprietary program just because they want to be
involved. I think this is dangerous.

Furthermore, fusl made this comment on Discord:

And when I said that I'd rather discuss this on the mailing list:
>fusl#1337: it's imho not a discussion and you can't force me to reply on the
>mailing list when i do not want to :smiley:

I'd like to address this here regardless (although I can't do much about the
definition of a discussion) — you using Discord gives validates it and helps
to provide interesting/valuable discussion there, pressuring users to adopt
Discord in addition to other platforms and excluding those who do not. Your
Google resolvers don't do this.

albino