discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] .on TLD Proposal

Re: [opennic-discuss] .on TLD Proposal

  • From: "Daniel Quintiliani" <danq AT runbox.com>
  • To: "discuss" <discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org>
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] .on TLD Proposal
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 15:04:54 -0500 (EST)
  • Archived-at: <https://lists.opennicproject.org/sympa/arcsearch_id/discuss/2016-11/E1c7pP4-00023Y-Mg%40rmm6prod02.runbox.com>

You raise an interesting point about a general-purpose TLD for things that
don't qualify as "geek". When I set up a game server (a VPS), I proposed a
TLD here, but ICANN already had reserved it.

This game (Minetest) isn't really "geek", it is an "oss" game but that has
nothing to do with a server running it, and my server did not "encourage"
anything, which disqualifies it from "free". I wound up going with "dyn", but
I use a VPS, and can create a cron job. Normal Web sites don't have that
ability.

As for ".on" vs ".onic", since people are likely not to hear about OpenNIC
unless they set it up, I think ".onic" is better for promotional purposes,
and so my vote is for ".onic"

--

-Dan Q