discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] .on TLD Proposal

Re: [opennic-discuss] .on TLD Proposal

  • From: Jonah Aragon <jonaharagon AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] .on TLD Proposal
  • Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2016 07:45:31 -0600
  • Archived-at: <https://lists.opennicproject.org/sympa/arcsearch_id/discuss/2016-11/CABpHFPX97rrBK0fQXzus5b3OKcAUNG4y6D_4VA8pzF5N0AhNUw%40mail.gmail.com>

>> 4. VOTING
>> ----------------
>>
>> All matters of administrative importance will be voted upon by members of the dotON domain registry. Motions will be passed by a simple majority of votes (50% + 1).
>

> A majority is more than half. I don't think you need to state 50% + |x| > 50%. As you say, it's simple.

Just clarification. OpenNIC policies specifically stated it so I figured I would. Doesn't change anything regardless.

>> The dotON administration holds the right to veto any member votes, in order to retain control of .on operation.
>
> Why shouldn't the members be allowed to select a new administrator?

That would seem to cause unnecessary chaos, transferring entire DNS servers, webservers, email servers, etc. Isn't just a simple task, and the administration should be able to retain control over the zone.

That being said, I would be open to a clause allowing a certain amount of votes to override a veto to retain democracy, similar to the United States Congress being able to override a presidential veto.

It primarily exists to prevent abuse in the early stages, where for example we could only have 3 registrations and votes to change administration could be dramatically swayed simply because 2 of the 3 support the motion (and we have no verification process to prevent duplicate membership).

Jonah