discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee - Liberland domains .LL

Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee - Liberland domains .LL

  • From: <vv AT cgs.pw>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] OpenNIC Domains Registration Fee - Liberland domains .LL
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2016 11:55:18 -0800

Excellent points.

To me the whole idea of monetising a community
project just does not sound right. Jonah's point
that DNS is a separate service is technically
correct, but doesn't seem to jibe with social
reality. In any case, another project for domain
registration is not a bad idea in principle.

That said, I still think that the whole idea
of monetising anything regarding OpenDNS and
our alternate domains is somewhat childish.
Forgive me for putting it that way, but I really
can't think of any other way of putting it.
There is not going to be a flow of money here.
I would point out that a little romp through
grep.geek brings up a pitiful amount of actual
content. If you don't believe me, just start
clicking on links and see how many complete.
I realize that there is more to DNS than web
content, but when you see that most search
content is actually not there, and perhaps
never was, then one starts to wonder.

Regards,
Ole