discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTING] New TLD .RUS

Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTING] New TLD .RUS

  • From: <vv AT cgs.pw>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] [VOTING] New TLD .RUS
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 11:09:00 -0700

So we agree. :)

I think the language of "alternative to .ru" is simply
just bad English and not the intent. An actual alternative
to .ru is not really possible, I think. There is already
the .su domain, and I don't think even that is being
seen as an alternative. In any case, a ccTLD from us
is not even remotely possible due to our lack of status
as a country. ;)

To me the .RUS domain is obviously meant to appeal to
Russians and those who want to associate with that
country and culture in some way. OpenNIC has not had
much traction outside of a narrow section of the world.
What Dmitry is offering us is valuable. We should
embrace that and not argue about what to me are quite
frankly absurd notions and assumptions about the true
meaning of certain letter combinations.

Regards,
Ole