discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] planets TLDs

Re: [opennic-discuss] planets TLDs

  • From: Amunak <amunak AT amunak.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] planets TLDs
  • Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 12:24:18 +0100

Another big thing to consider is scalability. Adding TLDs costs quite a bit in manhours, whereas registering domains into existing TLDs is basically free. For TLDs you need someone to maintain them, run the T1 server, make sure that it works and stays updated, that its domain registration system is working, etc. The more TLDs we operate (and the less people there are operating them) the more it costs to maintain them, the more likely issues are to appear "out of the blue" and the less likely they are to be fixed in a timely manner. Not to mention stuff like maintaining a certificate authority, making sure DNSSEC works and such. We don't have those things yet, but if there are 100 TLDs to add these on to we'll never have feature parity on all TLDs.

Unless we make the process of creating and maintaining a TLD 100% automatic, there's always the risk of having unmaintained and/or abandoned TLDs. And that's not good.

All this would perhaps be acceptable if we had millions of pretty TLDs already taken in our other more "generic" TLDs. Or if those had some unreasonable charters not suitable for some people with new TLDs solving that. But creating new, highly specific TLDs is, in my opinion, a waste of resources.

At most I'd consider peering agreements with such TLD groups if they operated successfully for a year or several, but as it stands I don't really see any reason for adding any more TLDs except for some very special circumstances. Like, I could see a .crypto, considering that it could help us spread awareness by "riding the fad". Or perhaps an internal TLD for use with OpenNic's websites and infrastructure, one reserved just for that (and, eventually say, OpenNic CA websites and whatnot). But that's it, I don't see any positives of adding TLDs like this.

Amunak