discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-respondingT2servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-respondingT2servers

  • From: opennic AT lewman.us
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal of non-respondingT2servers
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:05:12 -0400

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 16:51:31 -0400
"Aaron J. Angel" <aaron.angel AT gmail.com> wrote:
> DNS needs to be reliable. Newcomers should have second-thoughts.
> Knowing little about DNS is not a valid excuse; one knows this before
> committing. Too much feel-good focus on the operator costs client
> satisfaction and stability.

Perhaps this is veering off-topic, but assuming users are going to look
up T2 addresses and use them as their DNS seems less customer-friendly
than it could be. And asking them to check back to see if their chosen
IP addresses are still valid seems a stretch.

As an example, Google DNS offers two IP addresses (8.8.8.8 and
8.8.4.4.) for their resolvers globally. While Opennic is not google,
and probably cannot do anycasting, we can probably come up with some
sort of proxy system where users add 1-3 IP addresses which in turn
query the available T2 resolvers. Anycasting is the best proven
solution here, but unless T2 operators understand route injection and
can announce their own IP ranges, it's a moot point. I can run one of
the proxy dns resolvers if we decide this is a smart method. This also
removes the need to be worried about T2 resolvers, because they aren't
client-facing and they are automatically added/removed as needed.

Personally, I use my own T2 server as my resolver, because I run it and
I know it's always available (also because it's a public nameserver for
a growing number of ICANN domains).

--
Andrew
pgp 0x6B4D6475