discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal ofnon-respondingT2servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal ofnon-respondingT2servers

  • From: "Aaron J. Angel" <aaron.angel AT gmail.com>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removal ofnon-respondingT2servers
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 22:39:57 -0400

On 08/15/2012 05:21 PM, mike wrote:
> I know there are arguments on boths sides of this, I'm just cautioning
> about coming off as too authoritarian.

I'm not trying to be authoritarian, just stating my opinion. As
familiar as I am with DNS, I don't even offer tier 2 service. It's hard
to argue that an influx of new, but unreliable servers, is better than a
small but stable few. Unfortunately, outside of a handful of die-hard
volunteers that have still been involved over the years, that's what
I've seen previously. Maybe it has changed, but then this thread was
started for a reason. I still pick DNS servers based on knowing who
runs them.

Ultimately, I guess it depends on whether OpenNIC sees itself being a
legitimate alternative or a hobby. I've gotten the hobby feeling in the
past. Experimentation is definitely a good thing, and yes -- this could
be a great learning opportunity for some not-yet-experts. But those
opportunities need to be structured to avoid jeopardizing the mission.