discuss - Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removalofnon-respondingT2servers

Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removalofnon-respondingT2servers

  • From: Jeff Taylor <shdwdrgn AT sourpuss.net>
  • To: discuss AT lists.opennicproject.org
  • Subject: Re: [opennic-discuss] Policy proposal for removalofnon-respondingT2servers
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:52:48 -0600

OK, as an initial test of this idea, I present the following:

http://www.opennicproject.org/t2log/stats.php

The code uses GeoIP to grab a short list of IPv4 servers near you, and
checks the percentage of passes in the previous 3 months to give a
5-star rating. The stars are given as follows:
5 = 95-100%
4 = 90-94.9%
3 = 85-89.9%
2 = 80-84.9%
1 = 75-79.9%
0 = anything less than 75%

The scale is arbitrary, but works for this demo. Note that the server
percentages are currently static, but were generated from today's data.

Something like this could be presented to users reading the page on how
to get connected to OpenNic... it's nice and simple, and gives them a
lot of info at a glance. If we could also combine this with some
javascript code that tests ping-times for each server, I think this
chart would provide every detail that anyone could want to know?